Sunday 25 March 2012

Tim Holtz Creative Chemistry - Day 5

So it's the end of the first week, & the weekend to relax, take a breather & keep on playing with what I've learnt so far!!!
So Day 5 was all about distress stains.


1) stained 'kraft resist' (left)
2) stamping with stains (top right)
3) marbled stains (bottom right)
 1) Stained Kraft Resist - well, Kraft Resist is still on my wishlist, so I heat embossed a kraft tag with enamel embossing powder - luckily this didn't melt again when I dried the distress stains with my heat tool!  I think the kraft tag is slightly darker than the Kraft Resist paper, & the black archival ink darker than the black printing on the Kraft Resist, so my final stamping at the end didn't show up as much ...  * see below for my other attempts!

2) Stamping with stains - I've only had 1 attempt at this so far - fairly please except that I must have 'flooded' the stamp with the picket fence, or pressed down too hard or for too long, as it is very 'splotchy'!!

3) Marbled stains - well, it worked after a fashion, but I definitely need more practice!!!

my first 3 attempts at 'stained kraft resist  - I finally went with my 1st one for my sample tag!
I tried another tag using sepia archival, buit this time I lightened the tag with picket fence, so it hardly showed up at all!  For a third tag, I went back to firstly stamping with jet black but using picket fence - although this did lighten the background stamping, it still showed up too much when the final stamp was added.  So I need to do a bit more practice on this technique - and if I made my own, make sure the background stamping isn't where I want my final stamping to be (or get some Kraft Resist paper, which would be much easier!!)

I'm going to play a bit more tonight (& I've got a few ideas to go with!) and then another whole week with Tim - I can't wait!!

Back soon! Kay

1 comment:

  1. Lovely tags. I had the same problem of having no kraft resist paper but I used varnish for my resist. It worked but had a different look than yours. I'll try your method next, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete