Thursday 29 March 2012

Tim Holtz Creative Chemistry 101 - day 9

Perfect Pearls today - I really hadn't realised how versatile they are!  (I was very tempted by the sets at the craft shop this afternoon, but I did resist!!) - I already had 3 perfect pearls, & a set of 6 Cosmic Shimmer iridescent mica pigments (which I must try out with these techniques soon!).  I love the depth you can get with multiple layers of inks & pearls - they almost look like some of those amazing enhanced photographs of galaxies & nebulas in deep space...(!)

So, I had a great play with the perfect pearls... here's my first attempts...


(from left)
Perfect Distress Mist - I made up 3 mists - heirloom gold in dried marigold, pewter in tumbled glass, forever violet in dusty concord - even the first layer was amazing -

& it got better as I went on!

Perfect Distress - I used tattered rose stain for the tag, then inked the stamp in milled lavender, broken china & iced spruce with pewter perfect pearls over & then distressed the edges with same inks.  The wicking from under the pewter wasn't very noticeable though - perhaps it was the colours I used?

Perfect Splatter Distress - I used my 3 perfect pearls with distress inks in vintage photo, spiced marmalade, mustard seed, broken china, dusty concord, and aged mahogany, which took over!!!


perfect splatter distress before inking, with glossy paper coloured with remaining inks
the tag improved after I'd inked over it in places!!

& here are my second attempts...




(again from left)
Perfect Distress Mist - I used same mists as before, but on a Kraft tag, which gives a totally different effect!  I think they must be made from a thinner cardstock, as it really warped, but I loved the effect, & I'm thinking if I sprayed a whole sheet of Kraft paper, I could then die-cut lacy borders from it - I think it would look rather 'cool'!!

Perfect Distress - this time, the inks (mustard seed, wild honey & spiced marmalade, over antique linen stain) originally wicked too much under the heirloom gold perfect pearls!!  So after much playing around (which meant that the perfect pearls spread over the tag as well!) I restamped the quote with wild honey, & tried again, just on this - it did work better this time!

Perfect Splatter Distress - I used roughly the same colours as before, only missing out the aged mahogany!!

So yet again, I've had such great fun today, thanks to Tim!! and learnt so much!!!  And I know I've only just scratched the surface with all these techniques, so more playing over the weekend, methinks!

And by the way, my shattered stains butterfly from yesterday has alighted on my Vagabond, & seems quite happy & settled there!

Back soon!  Kay

1 comment:

  1. I think they all turned out good as well! I also am amazed at how many different looks you can get from Perfect Pearls. Thanks for sharing your results!

    ReplyDelete