Tuesday 27 March 2012

Tim Holtz Creative Chemistry 101 - day 7

It's day 7 today - heat embossing, & I've done my "homework"!!


1) Nostalgic Batik - I stamped the elephant with mustard seed & the 'trim' with wild honey & heat embossed clear over the top.  Then I inked the background with various colours of distress ink & overstamped the 'weeds' with black soot.  It was looking a bit dark, so I quite heavily misted & flicked the tag with water, until I was happy with the background.

2) Rusted Enamel - colours used were broken china, spun sugar & shabby shutters.  I decided to add stamps with jet black archival ink on the 3rd tag before I embossed it.  (I tried with the 2nd tag with sepia archival, but it didn't show up too well! & I still need to practice in swiping some of the embossing powder off!!



3) Distress Powder Resist - I inked the stamps with distress scattered straw & embossed with dried marigold distress powder.  The stamp is maybe a little too fine-detailed for distress powder? - but it did work!!  The quote would have worked great, except I didn't stamp it too well, so the right hand side didn't emboss much!  So I 'embraced my imperfection' & after I'd added distress inks to the tag, I overstamped the quote with vintage photo - slightly 'off centre', but it's given a 3D effect to the left-hand side of the quote which I like!! I think I'll  use this 'mistake' again!!!

I enjoyed playing with the embossing powders today - I've got quite a few, different makes & colours, so I'm off to try out all of them on light & dark cardstock (to see if they're translucent or opaque!) & so I've got a reference for them!!

Looking forward to paints tomorrow!!!  Have I said I'm loving this class??  Well I certainly am!!  And I'm learning so much - Tim is one amazing teacher!!! 

1 comment:

  1. They are all lovely! I particularly like the one with the elephant.

    ReplyDelete